Re: [opensuse] Off Topic: Wired PC's Behind Client Bridge Can't Ping Each Other
On 2016-05-09 17:11, Greg Freemyer wrote:

My understanding of the client bridge function is:

* openSUSE Box1 => IGMP (ping) packet to local router via Ethernet

* local router forwards IGMP packet via wireless to main router

* main router forwards IGMP packet back to local router (via wireless)

* local router forwards IGMP packet to openSUSE Box2 via Ethernet

But in this case, the 4 mouths on that thing (client bridge) are not
acting as switch. They are all "routing", isolated from one another. I
had no idea this could be possible.

My guess is either:

- the main router doesn't allow peer-to-peer packets at all between
it's WLAN connected devices. That should be fixable via a config
change in the main router.

I have intentionally setup WLANs to not allow peer-to-peer
connections. The clients are only allowed to access the Internet.
Mostly done with guest SSIDs.

- the main router has a bug that doesn't properly handle peer-to-peer
connections on the bridged client router.

The main router would ignore the packets, because it would assume the
switch would handle them, much nearer to the source. It is, IMHO, a
waste of wireless bandwidth to send packets up, then down, instead of
traversing the switch in cable.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >