Re: [opensuse] Off Topic: Wired PC's Behind Client Bridge Can't Ping Each Other
On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 10:32 AM, sdm <fastcpu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 05/09/2016 07:19 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Maybe the problem is first understanding what a "client bridge router" is.

Most "home" routers have a 4 port integrated switch on the LAN side.

As does this one, but it's sending and receiving traffic out the wired
ports, as well as sending and receiving traffic via a wireless bridge to the
master router. You are familiar with WDS, right? Client Bridge is the same
idea. I think it used to be called Wireless repeater mode in previous DD-WRT
releases, and now it's Client Bridge Mode. So, are we on the same page now?

I'm very much guessing you have a bug in Client Bridge software. A
few questions:

- Can WLAN connected devices connected wirelessly to the main router
ping each outer? Can they ping the openSUSE boxes?

- If you have multiple SSIDs, can, WLAN devices directly using the
same SSID as the client bridge ping each other.

- Can either of the boxes connected to the client bridged router ping
the Internet. (ping yahoo.com). Can they ping other WLAN connected
boxes? Can they ping the openSUSE boxes?

My understanding of the client bridge function is:

* openSUSE Box1 => IGMP (ping) packet to local router via Ethernet

* local router forwards IGMP packet via wireless to main router

* main router forwards IGMP packet back to local router (via wireless)

* local router forwards IGMP packet to openSUSE Box2 via Ethernet

My guess is either:

- the main router doesn't allow peer-to-peer packets at all between
it's WLAN connected devices. That should be fixable via a config
change in the main router.

I have intentionally setup WLANs to not allow peer-to-peer
connections. The clients are only allowed to access the Internet.
Mostly done with guest SSIDs.

- the main router has a bug that doesn't properly handle peer-to-peer
connections on the bridged client router.

I say it is a bug because I have setup up bridged clients where a
printer was hardwired to the slave router. I was able to use the
printer from WLAN connected clients regardless of which WLAN router
they were connected to.

Greg