Re: [opensuse] DHCPv6-PD request
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 May 2016 18:14:15 +0200
James Knott wrote:

On 05/08/2016 11:56 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
More and more people are running IPv6 and more and more carriers are
switching to it. I've been getting IPv6 via tunnel for 6 years
and my
ISP is now providing it. These days, dhcpv6-pd is being used to
provide the prefixes and must be supported by anything that's
being used as a firewall/router and that includes Linux.
Sure - I guess most people have a router/modem with the appropriate
PD
support. I've never needed it, always had static configs.

Manual configuration is used for business customers, where the prefix
is configured into the router and routing protocols, such as OSPF or
EIGRP, set up routing to the network. However, ISPs serving consumers
want to avoid that and use something that works automagically.

Yup, makes a lot of sense.

So, at the moment, I have to get dhcpcd 6.10.1 to work for this.
Manually starting it doesn't do the trick for IPv6.

I can build a dhcpcd 6.10 for you for Leap, no trouble at all. I wonder
how to make wicked understand that we're using a separate dhcpcd
binary.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (24.6°C)