Re: [opensuse] DHCPv6-PD request
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 May 2016 17:56:36 +0200
James Knott wrote:

On 05/08/2016 11:26 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
James Knott wrote:

On 04/19/2016 10:35 AM, Jeremy Baker wrote:
On 04/18/2016 10:30 PM, James Knott wrote:
My ISP is finally rolling out IPv6. One thing that's required is
for
the router to make a DHCPv6-PD request to get the prefix info etc.
I don't know if my router/firewall, based on openSUSE 13.1 is
doing that. I don't see anything in Wireshark that would indicate
it's making that
sort of request. I'm also not aware of any configuration that
would
enable it. Does anyone know anything about this?

tnx jk

dhcpcd after 6.4.0 will request and disposition a ia-pd prefix.
I'm not
sure what version 13.1 has, but opensuse 13.2 only has version
3.2.3.
I installed dhcpcd-6.10.1 from source on leap and have been using
it
to get a delegation from my isp for 3 months or so.

I just installed Leap 42.1 and found it can't even get an IPv6
address
for itself, let alone a prefix for the network. This is a step back
from 13.1, which at least could get it's own IPv6 address via dhcp.
I have Leap421 running fine on IPv6, with dhcp etc. I don't recall
having to change any config.

I'll try installing dhcpcd 6.10 and see what happens. Any
configuration required?

I have put in a request for dhcpv6-pd to be added, but I shouldn't
have had to. This is something that's becoming essential. Why are
the developers missing the boat on this???
It is odd, but obviously you're one of the very first to encounter
this issue.

Actually, no. Jeremy Baker also had this and installed a later
version of dhcpcd to get around the problem.

Okay, so you're two of the very first openSUSE users :-)

More and more people are running IPv6 and more and more carriers are
switching to it. I've been getting IPv6 via tunnel for 6 years and my
ISP is now providing it. These days, dhcpv6-pd is being used to
provide the prefixes and must be supported by anything that's being
used as a firewall/router and that includes Linux.

Sure - I guess most people have a router/modem with the appropriate PD
support. I've never needed it, always had static configs.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (24.8°C)