Re: [opensuse] problem with journalctl
  • From: Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 12:53:42 -0600
On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 12:31 PM, jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello

Nothing indicated worked, but I found sort of a fix.

First, the loga are in /var/log/journal. I use to move parts I want to
"remove" with a backup :-).

When I move this folder, it's *not* recreated at boot. I guess the "Storage"
option in /etc/systemd/journald.conf is auto. Changing it to "persistent"
makes the journal to be read again.

journald.conf auto means use /var/log/journal/<machineid>/ if
/var/log/journal/ already exists. If not, then use
/run/log/journal/<machineid> where machineid is found from hostnamectl
as well as the current boot ID. You don't need to create the machine
ID directory, systemd-journald does that.

There's some scant evidence that the compression option exacerbates
these corruptions or at least the manifestation of them.

journalctl -b 0

is probably stored in ram (/var/run ?) and with the default setup, there is
nothing kept after a reboot is /var/log/journal is removed.

I keep it like this now.

But to experiment I runned a

journalctl --verify on the initial logs, and it found lot of errors -
whether or not this fixed the problem I don't know

It doesn't fix them. Again what's supposed to happen is the corrupt
entry is ignored and everything else can still be read. The problem is
the corrupt entry causes journalctl confusion.

--
Chris Murphy