Re: [opensuse] Re: copy from encrypted system without password?

Am 01.05.2016 um 14:44 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
On 2016-05-01 11:00, Daniel Bauer wrote:
Am 01.05.2016 um 00:03 schrieb Carlos E. R.:

A longish passphrase, not the 4 digit pin used to start phone service?
I'm considering cyphering my phone. Do you notice any caveats?

Yes, I have a long, complicated passphrase looking like nonsense with
special characters and numbers, but it's easy for me to remember.

So you have to enter the pin code for phone service (it protects the SIM
card), and the passphrase for the storage. Makes sense.

The only difference I note is when booting the phone, this takes a
little, little longer while the "decryption icon" is on the screen.
Still it boots faster than my old phone, and when it runs I don't note
any difference. I guess it depends on the phones power, I have a samsung
galaxy s6.

Yes... But deciphering a disk is not done at the start, but on the fly,
each time there is need to read or write a file, in memory. I wonder
what it does at the start :-?

I have no idea what id does when booting. Sending the private data to google? :-)

Searching about android encryption leaves me with a smoking brain. There is so much information and contradictory information. Some say that the additional disk space is based on fat file system which is then not encrypted, others say it can be with another file format... and as samsung, my case, does not allow additional cards, I have no idea what and which part is now encrypted or not.

On the page
https://source.android.com/security/encryption/
under "Starting an encrypted device" there is a point "decrypt /data", so I guess that's what it is doing while booting. But what that means and what are the consequences? No idea...

http://www.daniel-bauer.com
room in Barcelona: https://www.airbnb.es/rooms/2416137