Re: [opensuse] file extension specificity in linux
On 02/29/2016 02:58 PM, Aaron Digulla wrote:
here are a few applications, especially ones
which also exist on Windows, which are more picky.

Its a yes-no-maybe situation

Yes, we have the tools and the database to determine file type by
examination, principally "file(1)" and the "magic numbers" in
/usr/share/misc/magic. (See magic(5) for details)

But there's a nasty gotcha in all this and its called "MIME".
This, in turn, drags in lots of things like the desktop menu and
dispatching. As you can see from the example in "man xdg-mime" its
about the file extention, not the content.

It is this, along with the "*.desktop" files, that determine how Linux
"executes" a data file.

If you choose to read this as a MS-DOS conspiracy, then I'm not going to
argue with you. It all stems from the nasty habit of doing FTP-by-email.