Re: [opensuse] Bash completion worse since last update
On 02/28/2016 07:58 AM, Markus Egg wrote:
Just recently made an update because of glibc bug.
Since then the bash completion or alias works completely different and
is - in my opinion- unusable.

Previous to that when I did
ll direcory
the cursor stopped after
directory/
so that I could simply go on typing further directory names.

Now it stops after
directory * ( * = cursor, one space between the directory and cursor)
I have to go back with backspace, type in '/' and then go on.
Much more complicated.

I know that "ll" is an alias but what changed for
alias ll='ls -l' ?
I cannot see any changes in /etc/profile.d for that.
Did bash change somehow?

You'll have to be more specific about which version of the system,
glibc, and the completion package.

I get

anton@Mainbox:~> type ll
ll is aliased to `ls -l'
anton@Mainbox:~> ll PDF/
Display all 589 possibilities? (y or n)

That's me typing "PDF" then tab.

I have

anton@Mainbox:~> rpm -qa| grep completion
systemd-bash-completion-210-40.1.noarch
bash-completion-2.1-3.1.2.noarch

anton@Mainbox:~> rpm -qa| grep glibc
glibc-locale-2.18-4.44.1.x86_64
glibc-extra-2.18-4.44.1.x86_64
glibc-i18ndata-2.18-4.44.2.noarch
glibc-2.18-4.44.1.x86_64

What do you have?

Please: no systemd rants.

Are you sure that you are initializing the package in your ~/.profile or
~/bash_profile?

Thanks in advance