Re: [opensuse] Why do I have all these file systems loaded as modules?
On 02/26/2016 11:53 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2016-02-26 17:41, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 02/26/2016 11:37 AM, Marcus Meissner wrote:
Usually if you do "mount /dev/somedev /mnt" without type, mount
will try various filesystem types causing them to be loaded.

True, but not relevant here as this situation arises immediately
after a fresh boot. I've been though that cycle a couple of times
this morning to verify.

Yes, on a fresh boot fstab is read, and if there are entries with
"auto" type, several are tried till a good one is found.

From MAN(mount)

<quote>
If no -t option is given, or if the auto type is specified, mount will
try to guess the desired type. Mount uses the blkid library for
guessing the filesystem type; if that does not turn up anything that
looks familiar, mount will try to read the file /etc/filesystems, or,
if that does not exist, /proc/filesystems. All of the filesystem types
listed there will be tried, except for those that are labeled "nodev"
(e.g., devpts, proc and nfs). If /etc/filesystems ends in a line
with a single * only, mount will read /proc/filesystems afterwards. All
of the filesystem types will be mounted with mount option "silent".
</quote>

Yes, interesting.

Firstly, all the file systems mounts in /etc/fstab are fully specified,
so this doesn't apply there.

Second, I have 'blkid' able to identify all my file systems, and, as
I've said, none are the mavericks such as minix, qnx4 etc.

Third I have

# more /etc/filesystems
vfat
reiserfs
exfat
exfat_fuse
*

The four specified I do, as I've discussed, use.
So the "*" is there, but that should never apply because the 'blkid' is
applied first and there's nothing which it can't recognise.

Wouldn't any blkid attempts show up in dmesg?
There aren't any.