Re: [opensuse] Why Is Leap 42.1 Benchmarking Poorly?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 16:09:42 +0100
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 2:21 PM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

Our primary use for openSUSE is as a data collection system that
collects large amounts of data (megabytes a minute to various data
files, often sustained for a couple of hours at a time) that is
routinely copied off-system, and then the collected data files
deleted.

Sounds like you ought to be using tape. Or a portable SSD drive.

Tape? Haven't heard that for years. Not in the cards:)

Didn't think so, but when I read your description, "removable media" was
my first thought.

Since the entire reason for the system existing is to collect this
data, we will make the file systems whatever is best.

Given your sequential access pattern, anything will do I would say -
ext2 onto a usb flash stick.

We set up these systems via an OEM image created with KIWI. I see that
KIWI allows us to select the file system for the created openSUSE OS
image. I wonder of we can still select ext4 when building an install
image for Leap. Or, more specifically, if such a selection is honored.

I can't think of a reason why not. For both.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (2.7°C)