Re: [opensuse] building a 32 bits efi file for leap
  • From: Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 13:48:02 +0300
On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Michael Chang <mchang@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 10:00:19AM +0100, jdd wrote:
Le 24/02/2016 09:40, Andrei Borzenkov a écrit :

Install DVD is using pre-built image from grub2 RPM; just take it from
grub2-i386-efi package (/usr/lib/efi/grub.efi)

install fails for Leap -I only find a beta version on obs and none in yast:

https://software.opensuse.org/package/grub2-i386-efi?search_term=grub2-i386-efi

I'm downloading the rpm now, but what vI have is only 1.1ko large,
not to be a rpm. I don't have this repo on Leap

I have bad news for you that the rpm install must have failed, because
the system is 64bit and you're trying to install i586 package on it.
Admitted this is a problem, as those grub2 module should be packaged as
noarch ...

Well, I tried to draw attention and discuss it couple of years ago,
but RPM won't allow ELF executable in noarch package and everyone
continued to tell me that they cannot go into noarch because they are
ELF executable ...

@jdd - you do not need to install them, just run

rpm2cpio grub2-i386-pc-XXX.rpm | cpio -imduv

and it will unpack RPM into current directory, just pick
usr/lib/grub2/i386-elf/grub.efi (notice lack of leading slash).

Which does not change the fact that openSUSE should fully support
installation of 64 bit user space on 32 bit EFI firmware.