Re: [opensuse] Now what? Glibc bug, vulnerability
21.02.2016 00:47, Greg Freemyer пишет:
On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 1:59 PM, Carlos E. R.
<robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 02/20/2016 07:46 PM, John Andersen wrote:

Are there no packages in common usage where the glibc library routines
are linked directly into the executables?

Someone told me this was possible, but I have no clue.

AFAIK, this is only done by proprietary packages, so that they
distribute a single binary package for all the distributions. It may be
done also by some programs intended for rescue operations.

Normally, anything distributed by openSUSE is using dynamic, runtime,
linking. I think there is a policy about this.

A static library is still a library. Shared libs are *.so Statics
are *.a. Look around your system and see if you have a glibc*.a
file anywhere.

And how does it matter? How having static library on your system is
related to having programs statically linked with this library? Static
library is needed on build system to link with; it is not needed on
target system where program is installed.