Re: [opensuse] Buffer overflow ... and other errors
On 02/15/2016 02:29 PM, James Knott wrote:
On 02/15/2016 11:29 AM, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
Real programmers enter, debug, and modify the program thru the front panel.

Of course, only mossbacks use a physical front panel. However, like the
physical front panel users, the ROM command line debugger fight between hex
and octal.

My first computer was an IMSAI 8080, which had a front panel. I also
used to debug through the microcode on Data General Eclipse computers!

We also had a Interdata 8/32 in one of the labs at university.
No real instruction set in the conventional sense, it was all microcode.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interdata_7/32_and_8/32
In many ways it was a predecessor to the ideas of the ICL 2900 series,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICL_2900_Series
where any program could also load custom microcode. So a program
complied in FORTRAN, for example brought in microcode that optimized for
FORTRAN. Later models had demand paged microcode.
It was all a bit ridiculous. Surely there were better ways to optimise?
In many ways this was a research project for Manchester university,
subsidized by the government and floated on the back of British industry.

Anyway, this all led me to working with bit-slice and AMD-2900 chip set
and building custom specific processing architectures and microcoding
them. I'm sure there could have been a postgraduate thesis there at the
time but I wasn't interested in an academic career.