Re: [opensuse] openSUSE on ASUS ZenBook Pro?
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 11:32:08 -0800
John Andersen wrote:

On 02/15/2016 10:50 AM, jdd wrote:
Le 15/02/2016 19:19, John Andersen a écrit :

I buy laptops with the smallest drive possible.

you have little choice, the disk size is acorded to the power of
the laptop

I don't buy off the store shelf. I order mine, and I usually have a
choice of disk size.

I immediately buy a separate compatible drive, (and a drive tray
if needed/possible) and install linux on that, putting the small
drive on the shelf against possibility that the machine will need
warranty service. If it never does, and the warranty expires, I
re-purpose the original drive into an external enclosure.

many laptop noweday are difficult to open, not even the battery is
removable. My Asus is on this sort, I didn't dare open it before
the end of the guaranty period, and all this is mostly a waste of
time, the system backup can be made on pretty small (32Gb) sd card,
for example

Shop better.
Don't buy such crap. I've NEVER owned a laptop that did not outlive
its battery, and require a battery replacement. Most have exceeded
the life of their hard drive as well. When I buy, I look for access
ports to Battery, Disk Drives, Memory, etc.

I'm not into skinny throw-away machines.

It's no longer just the 'skinny throw-away machines' that are leaning in
this direction. The one I've ordered has no access panels. They say
there's nothing to upgrade. It already has the "maximum" 16GB RAM (DDR4)
installed and there are no moving parts beyond the keys and switches. I
guess they're assuming it'll be coming back for factory authorized
service if and when that's needed. I'm not too concerned because I'm a
tech. :-) They can all be opened in a pinch for servicing.