Re: [opensuse] openSUSE on ASUS ZenBook Pro?
On 15/02/16 16:33, Carl Hartung wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 16:19:59 +0000
Bob Williams wrote:

Not the same model, but a few months ago I bought an ASUS Zenbook
UX305 for my wife. She wanted it to be dual boot, so I shrank the
Win10 partition (from within Windows) and installed openSUSE Leap 42.1
alongside. No problems, nice little machine, works well. And the Win10
installation hasn't been touched since! ;-)

Bob

Thanks Bob! :-)

Did you have to jump through any UEFI hurdles? The last new system I
tried this on absolutely refused to reveal it's Windows system
partition(s) when booting to CD/DVD/USB in 'legacy' mode. When set to
'secure boot' mode, you could not access the CD/DVD/USB drive (not an
ASUS system, btw.)

Thanks again & regards,

Carl

Hi Carl,

I'm sorry, I can't remember the details. This was my first and last UEFI
installation. The machine I'm typing this on is an 8 year old spinning
rust machine that's still going strong.

I do remember being pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. I posted
here at the time, and what I said then was:

"Windows 10 hides the relevant settings (security by obscurity), but
searching for 'partition' got me to the partitioning tool where I was
able to shrink the Windows partition.

"Similarly, searching on 'uefi' got me to a wizard where I chose the
option to access a USB stick. I plugged in my openSUSE 13.2 stick, and
clicked the icon, whereupon the machine rebooted into the openSUSE
installer, which recognised the efi option. Installation was smooth and
fast."

If you want to use the whole hard drive for openSUSE, I would guess that
getting Windows to enable uefi, then get the YaST installer to
repartition, might work, but don't quote me!

Regards

Bob
--
Bob Williams