Re: [opensuse] Linux kernel real time status
On 02/12/2016 05:16 AM, Marcus Meissner wrote:
Well, I think that during the Leap development it became clear that people
want a fresher kernel for better hardware support, so (apparently) the
decision
was done to use a newer kernel for Leap.

Well there is that, but late model kernels offer many other features and
improvements as well, faster networking, fewer spin-locks, better
algorithms in many places.

Yes, the 4.1 series kernels are good.

The 4.4 series are better.

Saying its better to use the newer kernel makes me wonder.
If people are serious about that they'd be watching kernel development
as well as development of the application packages that matter to them.

I'm not talking about being on the bleeding edge here, I'm not talking
about subscribing to the 'Unstable" repositories. take a step back from
the edge and use the stable ones that are still up to date and tested.

For the most part, Suse is more more conservative than Redhat, and
personally I consider Ubuntu a bit off beat, although their
user-base-of-geeks seems always to come up with interning Q&A postings.
good to google for!

But Linux is a community and one of diverse interests and a lot of
communication is going on. Don't consider it a firehose! Be specific.
Use your google-fu.

One specific is what's going on with the kernel. There are a few groups
for that, but its also possible to trust "Kernel Stable" as having a
progressive but not critical stance. Now at 4.4.1-4.

What lists? Well Phoronix is a good source, good for the weekly visit,
and they do many comparison tests of, for example, the file systems and
device drivers.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php/www....../vr.php?page=news_topic&q=Linux%20Kernel

More generically
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php/www....../vr.php?page=news_topic&q=Phoronix

Or if you only want Suse
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php/www....../vr.php?page=news_topic&q=SUSE

There are also sections for AMD. NVida and others.

Regular readers may have noticed that I've said I use the
"Kernel_Stable" repository,
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/stable/standard/
If you are seriously interested in staying up to date but not at the
bleeding edge (which is the 4.5 series) you may care to look into that.
It doesn't matter if you are in 13.1, 13.2 or Leap.