Re: [opensuse] Leap Display settings
On 02/10/2016 11:29 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
Dave Plater composed on 2016-02-10 18:10 (UTC+0200):

Mines Shift+Print Screen. In dos it used to actually print the screen.

The ONLY logical result of a key so labeled. How many dweebs are naturally
going to associate 'print' with screencap? I've seen KDE's new screenshooter
name 2-3 times in recent days and *still* can't remember it. Why don't we
change program names more often, or other things? Let's stop calling banks
banks and call them fremoxen instead? Let's call PCs wertomes, automobiles
bazlinder, and streets skordinks. Strategic behavior from KDE upstream in
recent years makes me estimate their average age too low for legal imbibing.

Any chance we can get that new upstream name changed to KSnapshot for
openSUSE?

Apparently this was due to someone discovering that Ksnapshot had only X-11
screen
shot capability. It wasn't broken and was actually working under K5, but then
someone said Wayland, and the guy looking at Ksnapshot did a re-write to
something
called KscreenGenie, because, apparently, that's the way the KDE project works,
any johnny-come-lately project triggers an instant rewrite of KDE core programs.
https://blogs.kde.org/2015/08/12/ksnapshot-next

Then there was another change, and, KScreenGenie got released with no Wayland
support
after all.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=KScreenGenie-KSnapshot

Then, for totally unexplained reasons, KScreenGenie was totally replaced
(or renamed, who can tell?) with Spectacle,
https://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-applications-15.12.0.php

Apparently this latest change was triggered by someone finding a kludge
to get Spectacle taking snapshots when Wayland was running instead of X-11.
https://www.mail-archive.com/kde-core-devel@xxxxxxx/msg19928.html

So that's the story until Boudhayan Gupta changes his socks and triggers another
KDE rewrite/rename.