Re: [opensuse] Upgrade to 42.1 from 13.1?
Thomas Taylor composed on 2016-02-09 10:56 (UTC-0800):

[<http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2016-02/msg00446.html>]

On Mon, 8 Feb 2016 13:48:31 -0500 Felix Miata wrote:

Thomas Taylor composed:

I have run into a problem upgrading a multi-boot system. I currently have
OS 13.1, Fedora 18, and windows 7 on my system. I'm using legacy grub as
boot manager. It is installed in a partition on an SSD along with the
windows 7 system.
In the partitioning expert mode (from create) would a partition need to be
specified (i.e. //boot) or just allow install to put it in the / folder?

Making it separate would be nothing but further complicating the already
complicated. Don't make it separate.

Maybe if you post output from gdisk or fdisk we could see a reason it does
that. GPT is only "required" if the disk size is >2GB. Win7 will boot from
GPT, but not if you make a change to GPT from BIOS outside of Windows. If
you're booting BIOS now, you need to keep it.

/boot (OS_13.1)) is on /dev/sda2 and / (OS_13.1) is on /dev/sda3
OS_42.1 will be installed on /dev/sdb11 (partition on 1.5 TB drive
With a 5 HD system with so many partitions there's no telling what's already
going on in 13.1 without seeing its fstab. Nevertheless, I see no reason not
to install 42.1 to sdb11 as long as you're not going to accept its default
BTRFS filesystem for so small a space. Go ahead and install there, keeping
the boot directory integrated, with or without installing Grub.

If you go ahead and install Grub2 as the installer suggests, tell it /
filesystem. Anywhere else is liable to break something that's hard to fix on
so complicated a system. Without installing a bootloader, simply boot 42.1
from 13.1's bootloader. If you need help to do that, ask in a separate
thread, specifying which Grub 13.1 is using, and showing its existing
menu.lst or grub.cfg as applicable.

If you've already installed 42.1 to sdb11, and sdb11 is not formatted btrfs,
maybe we should focus on using 13.1 to get 42.1 to boot instead of another
install attempt, again, with a separate thread about booting 42.1 from 13.1.
If 13.1 is using Grub, then something like this added to its menu.lst should
be good enough to get you into 42.1:

title openSUSE 42.1 default kernel on sdb11
root (hd1,10)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz showopts root=LABEL=2st10os421 noresume splash=0
initrd /boot/initrd

Before using, do

blkid /dev/sdb11

and substitute the volume label it returns for 2st10os421. If there is no
volume label, create one with 'tune2fs -L <mylabel> /dev/sdb11'. Use YaST2's
partitioner instead if you want.

Before starting anything to do with Grub, inspect any instance of
/boot/grub/device.map you find. If any lines simply include device name
rather than by-id, then they need to be rebuilt with by-id items you find in
/dev/disk/by-id/. Not doing so invites trouble with 5 disks in a system.
Different kernels can't be counted on to consistently assign the same names
to each disk.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/