Re: [opensuse] Why does digikam wants to become installed via zypper up?
On 2016-02-09 13:55, cagsm wrote:

I dont understand this pattern-business yet. I remember patterns being
talked about and printed on screen when installing a fresh opensuse or
upgrade offline from the recent years. So are patterns maybe some kind
of grouping meta-packages that tell my system that it wants digikam
and other stuff, and even rpm -e digikam and other stuff then will
bring them back again via zypper up because the higher metalevel
grouping package tells that the system wants digikam?

Yes, that's about it.

Also, till 13.1 there was a feature such that when a package was removed
manually it would not be automatically reinstalled if something "soft"
wanted it. Apparently this feature had problems and was removed.

tabooing a
noninstalled rpm (package) doesnt sound right to me if its not even
installed.

Yes, but with the lack of the feature I mentioned above, that's what you
have to do; that, or disable "recommends" globally. The latter I
consider more intrusive.

You ask about the "recommends". This is defined by the packager, based
on recommendation from the particular package developers upstream, not
by the project.

Example. Say you install a file manager. This will need libraries to
display windows, and to move files, say. Those are hard requirements.
Suppose it has an optional feature to display, in icon size, the content
of PDF files. As it is optional, this would be a soft requirement, or a
recommend. The program doesn't break without the library to display PDF,
just it doesn't have a feature.

In this case of yours, probably some installed package says that it
wants digikam whatever happens, so zypper up installs it. If you try
with YaST, then click on digikam to disable it, and perhaps it will say
that it is required by some other package.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)