Re: [opensuse] 13.2 vs Leap vs Tumbleweed
On 6 February 2016 at 20:18, don fisher <hdf3@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 02/06/2016 06:10 AM, Richard Brown wrote:

On 6 February 2016 at 12:53, Frans de Boer <frans@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear reader,

When I initially tried Leap, the stability was a disaster. So, I went
back
to Tumbleweed. Which at the time was stable enough. However, from time to
time I still have to go back to 13.2 because Tumbleweed is not always so
stable.

Leap is now around for some time, so I wonder if it is stable enough
nowadays to be used instead of 13.2. The later is kind off showing his
age.

I know now that using Tumbleweed is participating in a lottery, but has
OpenSUSE nothing newer to offer which is just as stable as 13.2 is?

Hi Frans

openSUSE Leap is more stable, reliable, and polished than 13.2 is.
While I admit that Plasma 5 doesn't quite meet the same level of
quality as we were used to with KDE 4 in 13.2, our KDE team have done
an amazing job of rectifying that and if that isn't good enough for
you Leap contains several other desktop environments that you can try
- all are equally supported by the openSUSE Project, we're
desktop-agnostic after all.

If you want a stable openSUSE that doesn't change every day, that's
the one to go for

Tumbleweed is not like participating in a lottery. It is the reliable
rolling release. It works, it's reliable, but I avoid using the word
'stable' when describing tumbleweed because stable, to me, implies
'not changing', and of course change is part of the point of
Tumbleweed

13.2 is just too long in the tooth for any of my use cases and with
too short a supported lifespan (expected end-of-life Jan 2017) for me
to realistically recommend to anyone. If it works for you though,
that's fine with me :)

TL;DR

Leap for unchanging reliableness
Tumbleweed for changing reliableness
13.2 if you're prepared to upgrade in less than 12 months

Rich

Has anybody loaded the devel:libraries:c_c++.repo?

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/libraries:/c_c++/openSUSE_42.1/

That was the last thing I remember doing before my previous Leap system
became unbootable. Zypper listed many conflicts, so I rebooted and never
could get it back. Could just be a coincidence, but it is a costly
experiment to try again. Has anybody else done this?

As soon as are add *any* non-official repository, you are no longer
running a 'pure'/untainted openSUSE Leap system

You're running your very own custom distribution which is awesome if
it works, but if it breaks, you should not blame Leap or the openSUSE
Project - it is a problem of your own creation

The official Leap repositories are:

=Binaries=
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/42.1/repo/oss/
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/42.1/repo/non-oss/

=Updates=
http://download.opensuse.org/update/leap/42.1/
http://download.opensuse.org/update/leap/42.1/non-oss/

=Sources=
http://download.opensuse.org/source/distribution/leap/42.1/repo/oss/
http://download.opensuse.org/source/distribution/leap/42.1/repo/non-oss/

=Debug Info=
http://download.opensuse.org/debug/distribution/leap/42.1/repo/oss/
http://download.opensuse.org/debug/update/leap/42.1/oss/

Anything else is NOT part of the openSUSE Leap 42.1 distribution.

I state this not only from the legal perspective (Leap 42.1 is
published under the GPLv2) but also a technical one - only the above
repositories are build together, tested together, and therefore should
be assumed to work perfectly together

Of course, there are other repositories from other sources which,
while not 'official', do try and provide packages that can be relied
upon for use with openSUSE Leap 42.1

NVIDIA drivers, ATI drivers, Packman, are all examples of community
run repositories which at least attempt to maintain compatibility and
fully support Leap 42.1

The 'community repos' list in YaST is a good list of these 'unofficial
but probably reliable' repositories.

Anything else, *especially* any Devel or Home Project in the Build Service

Devel projects are *designed* to be broken. They are meant to be where
Developers play and break things before sending it to Tumbleweed.

If they also build for Leap 42.1 the resulting software packages
should be considered to be provided 'as-is', with NO expectation as to
whether or not it works or not.

If you want something stable with Leap, and if you think Tumbleweed
isn't stable enough for you, then I deeply question the logic of
anyone who goes to a devel repo to get a new version of a package.
Even if they do work for you today, they WILL break for you at some
point, unlike in Tumbleweed where we have standards and quality to
controls to prevent such breakage.

Home repos should be considered with an even higher level of
scepticism. Anyone can do whatever they want in there.

TL;DR - don't use additional repositories unless you know what you're
doing. Don't blame Leap for incompatibilities introduced by your
decision to use unsupported software from repositories which make no
promises about their quality, stability, or reliability