  • From: Vojtěch Zeisek <vojtech.zeisek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 10:53:16 +0100
Dne So 30. ledna 2016 16:01:48, Carlos E. R. napsal(a):
Sigh.

I'm scanning old photographic negatives with a compact scanner (a
reflecta X7), and writing comments on the photos with Gwenview. But I
have a problem: other programs do not see them.

I don't see them with exif tools, for instance.

I don't see them with shotwell.

Conversely, if I write the comments with shotwell (which is configured
to write metadata to the photos, not to a database), I don't see them in
gwenview (but they do with "exif", tag "User Comment")

I hesitate to continue writing comments till I verify that they are in
fact written to the photo files, and that other programs read them.

I don't see any configuration option in Gwenview regarding this.

(why Gwenview? Because rotating photos is fast here, and it doesn't do
any library import. For the moment I only want to put each roll in its
own directory. Writing comments is also easy, although they are easyer
to see in Shotwell)

I'm not doing photo edit for the moment. Just archiving.

(Old slides have lost a lot of the colour)

I came late to that discussion, so that just few notes. I do not trust any
tool saving comments outside commented files and specifically I do not trust
KDE
semantic tools in this way because of various problems and technological
instability. My personal impression, but no, thanks. Good for searching, not
for storing extra information.
For music files I modify ID3 tags in Amarok. There is explicit settings to save
those data in the files. It works perfectly.
For EXIF comments I use digiKam. I'm not sure what should be the difference
between the name and description (apparently some applications deal with it
differently), so I keep same text in both. It seems Dolphin (KDE4) is not able
to read EXIF comments, but I export photos from digiKam to Piwigo web gallery
and another tools and it works there perfectly, so that I'm fine with it.
HTH,
V.

--
Vojtěch Zeisek