Le 30/01/2016 19:34, Carlos E. R. a écrit :
On 2016-01-30 18:24, jdd wrote:

One can use Digikam that can write exifs, IPTC...

But apparently it want's to "import" photographs, instead of just
working with a directory.

not really. It have to build it's own database (usually sqlite), but uses kde folders. One can even change file names with Dolphin (or any script) and the names are changed also in digikam

guess it thinks my comment is too large.

Thus gthumb is not suitable.

there are several comment tags and sizes, may be some have a limited (by exif) size

some years ago I wrote a small script to create an image with associated comment on it, for TV display

http://dodin.info/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Photo.CEDA

I looked at the comments at this moment

Digikam is with no doubt the best tool to add comments and tags (and the associated showfoto very good for basic edit

jdd