RE: Re: [opensuse] Leap / Tumbleweed Ogg / Amarok and (minor) VLC problem: very speedy ogg reproduction.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: John Andersen
Gesendet: Mi. 27.01.2016 19:54
An: opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: Re: [opensuse] Leap / Tumbleweed Ogg / Amarok and (minor) VLC
problem: very speedy ogg reproduction.

On 01/27/2016 09:14 AM, stakanov@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I possess several audio CDs that I ripped in the past. I have a mp3 version
and an ogg version of the
tracks. It is speech so you can note the speed particularly well.
Up to leap everything was fine, the files are older about 5 years old. But
since I installed leap I was
baffled by a "phenomenon" hitting as it seems ogg files. The are reproduced
ca 1.5 times speedier
in Amarok and 1.25 times speedier in VLC.

I can only guess speed, I think in Amarok it is even faster as the women
have the "Mickey
Mouse" factor. The VLC problem is solved by hitting twice "slightly slower"
when you reach
normal. In case there is the mp3 version available, the problem does not
seem to be there or it is not
apparent enough to let me note it.
I am using the packman versions codecs but I have also leap with opensuse
ones and Tumbleweed
and.....astonishingly it is the very same.
So this hits here leap and tumbleweed, amarok (a lot) and vlc (less).
On a AMD 64 plattform with nvidia and on a laptop with intel 915. ironlake.

What could that be? Is that already known or should I open a bug.
In Amarok as I cannot use ogg anymore that is a hindrance. In VLC I can
regulate the speed so that
mitigates it a bit.

I only found some very old events like this on google (from 2010).

Thanks.

Since these are only audio, what other players have you tested?
Are there some that are short enough to time with a stopwatch to determine
the % of difference.

What about playing them with ogg123 (command line player)?

Or with "play" which is part of the sox package?

If you convert a mickey-mouse sounding ogg file to mp3 with something like
sox mickey.ogg mickey.mp3
Does the mickey.mp3 sound too fast?

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht Ende-----

Hi and thank you for your reply. I did not have the idea about the stopwatch,
it is a good idea. I will try and report back (will be tomorrow because I have
to study a lot these days).
I did not even know I have ogg123 and sox "play". How nice.
So I will try that too (on both TW and leap) with the stopwatch too and will
report back on that too.
Thank you very much for this input indeed.
Originally these files where extracted via k3b (using lame I think, but I am
not sure. It was the default for creating ogg). The setting was loss-less 100%.

---