Re: [opensuse] digikam crashes
On 01/24/2016 02:15 PM, don fisher wrote:
On 01/23/2016 06:53 PM, don fisher wrote:
zypper -v in --force digikam-libs
Command zypper -v in --force digikam-libs yielded Package
'digikam-libs' not found.

I will try more tomorrow.
Thanks for your help:-)
Don

If one downloads the digikam src RPM there many dependencies called for.

[BIG SNIP]

Previously I have not tried to recompile an opensuse source RPM.

I've not built digikam but i have built other packages.

The way zypper works, if you download a package that needs other
packages it tells you and offers to download them automatically. no
need to write a script to do the extraction. if you are downloading
from a regular repository its going to make use of the repository
indexes that it knows about (all the ones you have enabled) to find
those packages.

If this is a J.random.RPM from who knows where, it may or may not be
able to find the packages.

is there a way to do all of this in some local directory?

Yes, RTFM.

In my past life I was able to keep all of my experimental builds
separate from the running system.

It depends what you mean by 'running system'.
In a professional context such as the bank, we don't let any development
be done on the production systems, that is those that are client-facing.
But any development system in the development labs is of course
running. How else could it work?

If you notice, there is already a /usr/src tree. if you mean doing the
development & testing there rather than /usr/bin, then .... guess what?

Some of this you could have found out by RTFM, some by experimentation
using the "-D for --dry-run" option of zypper which you'd have found if
you RTFM, or the "--test" for rpm, ditto.

All this I found out, and more, by (a) RTFM, and (b) experimentation.