[opensuse] Re: on not using Plymouth (was:Failed login prompts on VTs)
On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 12:52, Anton Aylward <opensuse@...> wrote:
On 01/22/2016 06:48 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

And makes the initrd image to be about double size.

Indeed it does.

I've just rebooted with the new initrd at 6am, and

1) WOW THAT WAS **FAST**
Even by what I'm used to with parallel systemd, it was **FAST**

2) It was a lot less noisy in terms of the kernel messages being spewed.

It makes me wonder. Plymouth as a boat anchor.
There's a price you pay for the 'eye candy'.
I have most of it turned off in KDE, but at times I wonder if I
shouldn't be running one of the lightweight DMs and then using the KDE
libraries to run Kongueror instead of Thunar, Konsole instead of
Lxterminal and things like BasKet Notes.

But then there's LXDE-Qt isn't there? Is anyone here using that?
https://github.com/lxde/lxqt/wiki/LXQt-Roadmap

Hear! Hear! Oh, yes.

Even on my new Box, running on Leap 42.1 (Cirrus7.com Nimbus with:
Haswell i3-4330T, ASUS Q87T, 16GB Ram, Samsung 850EVO 250GB mSATA),
it's just more fun to use XFCE as basis than KDE4 / Plasma5.

Oh, I'm still using KDE apps (Ksudoku and Okular mostly), but I'm
not "fixed" on the hype of KDE in any way.

Neither I'm "fixed" on Gnome (which I'm using at work w/ Centos 7)

I just like vitual desktops, abhor "Activities", both disqualify
actual Plasma5, and KDE4 is a dying beast, at least upstream.

No, I do not need eyecandy at boot. Most time at boot is wasted by
LVM2 (systemd-analyze blame gives 1 sec for lvm2-pvscan@8:5.service)
so, the three and a half (3.5) seconds for a cold boot to desktop
with lightdm on autologin is not bad. (1.8 sec I see text scrolling)

Most ugly are the hangs of lvm2-pvscan on shutdown for halt or reboot,
two (2) to ninethy five (95) seconds, with more of the later.

Would LXDE or LXQt (LXDE-Qt) be faster / better?
Well, in my case the difference is not measurable for me, but more
a matter of taste (LXDE vs. XFCE)

Have a nice weekend,
- Yamaban