Re: [opensuse] on not using Plymouth
On 2016-01-23 12:52, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 01/22/2016 06:48 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
And makes the initrd image to be about double size.

Indeed it does.

I've just rebooted with the new initrd at 6am, and

1) WOW THAT WAS **FAST**
Even by what I'm used to with parallel systemd, it was **FAST**

2) It was a lot less noisy in terms of the kernel messages being spewed.

With plymouth, I think that the boot messages are saved to a file, and
later they are displayed, perhaps on request.

It makes me wonder. Plymouth as a boat anchor.
There's a price you pay for the 'eye candy'.

Yes. I routinely remove it during initial install, and taboo it. I
understand that many users prefer to see a graphical boot display with a
progress bar and perhaps animations, and are terribly disgruntled at
seeing boot progress in text messages. So plymouth has a place for them.

But I really love to see those text messages: they tell what is actually
happening, we can see if things go abnormal just by noticing that they
are somewhat different than the previous time.

I have most of it turned off in KDE, but at times I wonder if I
shouldn't be running one of the lightweight DMs and then using the KDE
libraries to run Kongueror instead of Thunar, Konsole instead of
Lxterminal and things like BasKet Notes.

But then there's LXDE-Qt isn't there? Is anyone here using that?
https://github.com/lxde/lxqt/wiki/LXQt-Roadmap

I haven't tried it yet.

But I run XFCE desktop because it is less complex, less features on the
desktop, but then I use several KDE applications because they are *good*.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >