Re: [opensuse] latest patch need to restart
* Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [01-22-16 08:54]:
On 2016-01-22 11:30, Freek de Kruijf wrote:
Op vrijdag 22 januari 2016 01:36:26 schreef Carlos E. R.:
On 01/22/2016 01:34 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 01/22/2016 01:30 AM, tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
How do I restart this KDE process without rebooting my OS? I already
tried logging out of KDE and logging back in.

log out
log in, in text mode, as root.
init 3
init 5
zyper ps to verify
exit
log in graphical mode

Sometimes logout, then [Ctrl][Alt][backspace], twice, will do the trick.

The new way of int 3; init 5 is: systemctl restart display-manager.service

Old dog prefers not to remember new tricks when old tricks work ;-)

This "Old dog" agrees but... Then when the old ways go away (and they
will) the new ways are no longer new and everyone else is speaking a
different language :(

So I am pushing myself to utilize the "new" ways :)

I know the systemd guys wanted to make the new commands more descriptive (and hence easier to remember). However, in this case it feels that the simple numbers init 1,2,3,4,5 are actually easier to remember than the longer commands systemctl isolate multi-user.target, systemctl isolate graphical.target, etc.

I actually tried twice to put in multi-user.target, but kept forgetting to put the "dash" in there, and put in multiuser.target, and it didn't work. So finally I used "init 3" and it worked. It was only later I realized that the dash was why it didn't work.

So yes, I think the simple numbers scheme is a little more intuitive, at least for my ageing brain. And I didn't grow into Linux until I was already well past the impressionable ages, so for me I am an old dog trying to learn how to get along with a whole new master that is changing every year, not just a set of new tricks.

But hey, I will always like my new master far better than the old one, even with the changes.

--
George
Box #1: 42.1 | KDE Plasma 5 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | 32GB