Re: [opensuse] Re: very slow downloads of debuginfo packages from KDE:/Frameworks5/openSUSE_Leap_42.1
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 16:14:04 +0100
Vadym Krevs wrote:

On 22/01/16 14:18, Per Jessen wrote:
Vadym Krevs wrote:

On 22/01/16 11:10, Vadym Krevs wrote:
Hello,

is anyone else experiencing very slow downloads of debuginfo rpms
from download.opensuse.org - <20Kb/sec - while non-debuginfo rpms
download at 1-2Mb/sec? The box running zypper is in UK.

I did a quick mirror search, and found some very fast ones that
mirror
all rpms from KDE:/Frameworks5/openSUSE_Leap_42.1 except
debuginfo's.

Yes, my company's network is IPv6-enabled. However, this does not
explain why non-debuginfo rpms from the same repo are not subject to
very poor download speeds.
They might be coming from different repos? download.opensuse.org
isn't just one repo.

Sure, download.opensuse.org is not one repo. But
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Frameworks5/openSUSE_Leap_42.1/
(or http://download.opensuse.org/debug/update/leap/42.1/oss/) is "one"
repo, right?

Sorry, I meant to say "mirror", not repo.

Example:
http://download.opensuse.org/debug/update/leap/42.1/oss/x86_64/389-ds-debuginfo-1.3.4.5-3.1.x86_64.rpm

If I try to download that, the first attempt hits a mirror in Japan.

And even if downloads of individual rpms from that "one"
repo end up multiplexed across multiple mirror sites, it seems very
unlikely to me that all debuginfo rpms would be mapped to super slow
mirrors while non-debuginfo rpms would be mapped to fast mirrors.
Because that is effectively what I am experiencing.

I think that is entirely possible. There are very few mirrors that also
hold the debuginfo rpms, probably many more with the non-debuginfo
rpms.

The URL above is only available on 9 mirrors:

http://ftp.yzu.edu.tw/
http://widehat.opensuse.org/
http://ftp.kddilabs.jp/
http://fr2.rpmfind.net/
http://opensuse.temple.edu/
http://ftp.icm.edu.pl/
http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/
http://ftp5.gwdg.de/
http://suse.mobile-central.org/

For me, the fast ones were the two German mirrors. If I force ipv6-only,
most of those mirrors fail.

To see which mirror you get allocated, try using wget to get an rpm.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (1.9°C)