Re: [opensuse] latest patch need to restart
* tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [01-21-16 19:33]:
I just ran a zypper patch for openSUSE-SU-2016:0188-1 on my Plasma 5.

I prefer not to have to reboot the computer after a patch. There were a
bunch of KDE files that were still in use after running zypper ps, so I
logged out of KDE and then logged back in. But I still see this process that
is running on a deleted file:

---------------------
# zypper ps
The following running processes use deleted files:

PID | PPID | UID | User | Command | Service | Files

------+------+------+--------+----------+---------+----------------------------
11901 | 1 | 1000 | george | kdeinit4 | |
/usr/lib64/libxml2.so.2.9.1

systemctl isolate multi-user.target
log in to one of the vtty's, ie: <ctrl><alt><f1>
as root
run zypper ps
kill -9 <pid>

In your case: kill -9 11901

systemctl isolate graphical.target

and you have killed the deleted file process and should have a clean
kde(plasma5) start.

If you do this every week, you might remember the sequence.
But digging out your notes, and finding the page takes less time than
simply restarting the machine, because we all know of blindingly fast
systemd is at booting. *cough*.