Re: [opensuse] What do you use for skype?
On 01/21/2016 06:37 AM, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 01/21/2016 02:25 AM, Dave Plater wrote:
[snip]
alternative?

I've nothing against skype in principle. There's a copy of it on my old
laptop. was on an earlier version of suse, and on my cell phone. I just
don't seem to use it any more.

I used to like skype, but then they sold it for crazy money to EBay who were
incompetent, and then the NSA paid Microsoft to buy it fore even more crazy
money,
and now it is just a spy conduit direct to the government. Every connection is
set up through microsoft's servers and if you are, or you call someone that
the government is interested it your whole connection goes gets recorded.

What I seem to be using these days is Google Hangout on my phone and
tablet. I'm aware there is a web version of it as well. I've tried
that. Downside is that you need a gmail account.

I too use Hangouts, for those few times I need video chat, because its more
cross platform than is skype, and at least Google makes some promises and spends
some effort to fight the man, even if they are not all that successful.

For routine text chats, I just use Kopete with the OTR plug in, and pick a
server
that it supports file transfer with encryption. Its interoperable with Hangouts.