[opensuse] Re: mounting read only as *user* (not root)
On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 18:47, jdd <jdd@...> wrote:

sorry

Hello,

I often have to use "rsync --delete" to mirror two very large archives usb disks.

for safety reason, I would like to mount the source read only.

usually I just mount disks in dolphin and use rsync from dolphin xterm. But like this disks are mounted rw

is there a simple way to mount a disk ro as user?

in Dolphin, the action seems to be done by kde-open5, but options do not show ro

options] urls...
Un outil en ligne de commandes pour les opérations réseau transparentes

-v, --version Displays version information.
-h, --help Displays this help.
--noninteractive Non-interactive use: no message boxes. If you
don't want a graphical connection, use --platform
offscreen
--author Afficher les informations sur l'auteur.
--license Afficher les informations sur la licence.
--desktopfile <file name> The base file name of the desktop entry for this
application.

Arguments:
url Fichier ou URL

thanks
jdd

Interrims solution, if your source has a consistend mount-point:
Create a [nice-name-here].desktop file / starter with the following
EXEC= line:

EXEC=xdg-su -u root -c /usr/bin/mount -o remount,ro [source-mount-point]

Not the nicest (ask for root), but works for sure.

Plug the disk in, (it will be mounted read-write), then
use the created "program" from above, which will change
the drive from read-write to read-only.
(You can validate that with a simple call to "mount" in a terminal)

Then you can operate (more) safely.

- Yamaban.