[opensuse] Re: hdparm on boot and YaST
  • From: "Juan R. de Silva" <juan.r.d.silva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 03:24:55 +0000 (UTC)
On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 19:00:53 -0500, Greg Freemyer wrote:

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 6:24 PM, Juan R. de Silva
<juan.r.d.silva@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
About a month ago I run a cross a post in forums showing the way to run
something like 'hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda' upon boot by simply setting
some parameter in YaST.

Foolishly enough I managed to loose the post and I do not remember it
in details. I googled for over an hour now and I cannot come across it
any more.

Anybody can make a suggestion here, please?

Are you looking for the functionality of storage-fixup:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/openSUSE:Factory/storage-fixup

If so, it is available for versions of openSUSE as far as I know.
(zypper in storage-fixup)

You may need to edit the config file to add your drive info to the
database of drives.

Yes, basically I do need to set my HDD Advanced Power Management value to
254 and to make it persistent through reboot. However, I saw a much
simpler and effective solution than that.

There are other ways actually to do it, e.g. using systemd utils. But I
saw a really nice and simple solution just by setting it in YaST, as I
stated, and I would prefer it to any other solution I've seen suggested
so far.

I can stop blaming myself for loosing that link. :-(

Thanks anyway.