Re: [opensuse] Format disk with 13.2 btrfs file system
On 01/16/2016 08:05 PM, don fisher wrote:
On 01/16/2016 05:52 PM, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 01/16/2016 06:58 PM, don fisher wrote:
Please give me the commands, probably to mkfs.btrfs, that allows me to
generate the file system that the distribution media provides. I have
tried to use the distribution media, but keep having trouble with a
clean build on a USB drive.

Does "mkfs.btrfs" not work for you?
Its in /usr/sbin/mkfs.btrfs

I do not know what parameters to give mkfs.btrfs to generate a file
system like that the distribution generates. I date back to the days of
Richard Stevens where a file was just a set of bytes. I know how to
mkfs.ext4 and the rest, but do know know all of the parameters for the
btrfs. I was hoping for an example, one that would make the distribution
file system. I will try to understand the btrfs at a later time.

I date back, in internet time, to a previous geological era, long before
Richard Stephen's books, to UNIX V6, well V5 if you count my time at
university, but I wasn't doing sysadmin on that.
it wasn't difficult then, its even easier now.

Today, the mkfs are SMART! Making BtrFs is not different from any
other file system. if you can do ext4FS you can do BtrFS
the command you want is probably

mkfs.btrfs /dev/sdb1

Personally I wouldn't put a BtrFS on a USB, but that's me. I've only
been using BtrFS for a couple of years.

The man page on mkfs.btrfs, if you're read it, as Patrick suggested,
makes it quite clear what options are available and how they can be used
and when they are required, if any.

Make sure the device is unmounted. If there is an existing file system
on the partition then you'll need "-f", as the man page says.

RTFM.