[opensuse] Re: I'm a bit confused by the current naming of vmware player
On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 16:34, Carlos E. R. wrote:

I went to https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/downloads, and what I see as "Player" is now called "VMware Workstation 12.1.0 Player for Linux 64-bit." The version I have currently installed is Player, version 6.

Apparently, VMware Workstation 12.1.0 Player is both free and paid. I suppose I have to upgrade to it. Anybody done that, what should I have in mind?

However, the package is named similarly:

VMware-Player-6.0.6-.....x86_64.bundle
VMware-Player-12.1.0-......x86_64.bundle

No "workstation" in the name there, just a jump in the version number.

At one time it was hinted the planed existence of a "player" for the
"VMware-Server" files / virtual machines, that was dropped soon after.

AFAIKT earlier the situation was, "VMware-Server (now vSphere)" will
play / use both, the Server-Only and the Workstation images, while
"VMware-Workstation (Pro)" will only play / use the Workstation images,
while "VMware-Player" is a rather limited subset of "VMware-Workstation".

But looking at the actual web-page, some of this information seems to
be gone missing. Most of my older links to there do not work anymore,
and I can not find the same info in the pages as of now.

Now, that bag is all mixed up.

Server is splited up in multiple "products", see:
Data Center Virtualization and Cloud Infrastructure
http://www.vmware.com/products/datacenter-virtualization/

Workstation is housed here:
Desktop and Application Virtualization
http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop-virtualization.html

(Product "Workstation (Pro / Player)" defined as for use in
desktop environment e.g. PC / Laptop)

For Player I get two DL pages
Version 12 (leads to 12.1.0)

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_workstation_player/12_0
Version 7 (leads to 7.1.3)

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_player/7_0

See the difference in the Names?
With Version 12 it became "VMware Workstation Player"
while Version 7 still was "VMware Player"

Tl;DR: Product regrouping.

- Yamaban.