Re: [opensuse] Question Leap: fonts and colours
Basil Chupin composed on 2016-01-14 23:20 (UTC+1100):

I thought that I would try something out -- namely, copying over the
fonts from 13.2 to Leap --

Bad idea unless you're sure of what you're doing. Simply copying you
shouldn't mix them with installed fonts. Best to put them in any of

/usr/local/share/fonts/
~/.fonts/
~/.config/fonts/

and went to use my decades old favourite 'mc'
to do the work. Within 5 seconds or so 'mc' aborted and I got a message
on the screen stating that plasma5 pooped itself. After fooling around
for several minutes, which included rebooting the system into Leap, I
managed to get the konsole back on the screen but with the following
result when I tried to run 'mc':

http://susepaste.org/12506505

Now this is the very small area on a 27inch monitor so you have to view
this image in perspective. Wunderbar! Not. And I don't know how to
revert back to the original size (without having to re-install the whole
sheebang).

You can revert every KDE user setting to default by logging out of GUI,
opening MC on a vtty, and deleting ~/.config/k* and ~/.kde* before logging
back in.

What happens when you run MC from an IceWM session instead of Plasma?

I have no idea what went on to cause it, but you camoflaged the result by
shrinking the image to 161px wide and leaving out your taskbar/panel for
context.

Run MC from Konsole instead of menu and you should be good, or at least,
better. Or, was Konsole only a teensy tiny fraction of the screen with
microscopic fonts too?

What resolution is your 27" screen?

There are always vttys to run mc on too, using fullscreen.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/