Re: [opensuse] something like vnstat (internet usage stats) for OS 13.2?

On 2016-01-13 19:57, Daniel Bauer wrote:
Am 13.01.2016 um 19:42 schrieb John Andersen:
On 01/13/2016 06:24 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

I don't know how to make gkrellm show me the amount of transferred
data per time period, the little bit I tried in the settings did
not work, but that means nothing. I just see a graphic of the eth0
traffic...

Hover the mouse over the little graph for the network interface (there
can be several: eth, wlan, ppp.... A small button, 1*2 mm, should
appear at the bottom right corner. Click on it, and a window will pop
up with the stats.

But these also run the risk of monitoring local network traffic,
unless it is installed on the gateway machine.

True enough.

I want, in future, use a mobile phone to connect the laptop to the
internet when I am travelling thru Spain & Portugal. I don't know
if this is the most intelligent way to get internet connection when
there is no free wifi available somewhere, but I had no idea about
how much data I move around and what contract would suit my needs.

That is what I do. Well, sometimes I tell my mobile phone to share a
wifi spot, and others I instead connect it via usb cable to the
laptop, and tell the phone to provide internet access via it (same
menu as for wifi spot, in androids). Network manager detects it
instantly and connects.

The advantage is that the phone is charging instead of discharging,
and that no one can capture your traffic.

If you have movistar fusion, then you get 2 GB per month on the
associated mobile. And free calls on Spain. This is what I have. Quite
a reasonable plan, at least for me.

I have to watch my usage. First, remove packagekit and applets, do not
allow any automatic updates: just refreshing the repo data is several
megabytes. Then, I use an addon on firefox (user agent overrider) to
tell it to pose as if it is the mobile version of FF or chrome, so
that you get a lower weight version of web pages.

Mail... depends. Connecting to the ISP Imap using, say, thunderbird,
seems heavier than directly downloading all email on to the laptop,
leaving the imap server empty.

Of course, if you have to send a few of your photographs, the plan
blows out of the window ;-p

Now I konw, thanks to the ifconfig thing that Malcolm told me.

Good! Because I had a look at my scripts, and they don't work with
network manager, only with the ppp daemon. When it closes the
connection, it sends several parameters and one of them is the number
of bytes. Network manager (at least on 13.1) doesn't.

Movistar does have a page that tells you how much I have transferred.
My current Android phone also gives the data, but the numbers not
necessarily match.

Anyway, I found that the largest amount I can here get is
20G/month (yoigo).

That much?

I had a data plan from them for a while, 0.5 GB. Quite a reasonable
provider. They sold me a usb dongle that holds the SIM card, and
connects to the computer via USB. Worked out of the box, but perhaps I
had to connect initially on Windows to activate the card.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))