Re: [opensuse] Installation DVD is horrible!
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 23:36:39 +0100
don fisher wrote:

On 01/13/2016 01:05 PM, Per Jessen wrote:

On 2016-01-13 00:26, don fisher wrote:
and then mounts a swap partition from another drive, so my fstab
is corrupted.

The installation system uses, during the installation, any swap
space it finds (and it is not written to fstab). The swap space you
create during install does not exist yet, as all formatting is
delayed till the final "go ahead with install".

Maybe somebody else could try this and see what they get. The
Install did place the "other" swap space in my fstab, as well as the
new one.

The installer will do whatever you tell it to. It will automatically
pick up available swap-space, if you don't want it, you have to
manually deselect it.

During the install, I am not sure how to remove the selection to
swap partitions on other drives. Will that not cause the installer
to delete those partitions from those drives?

Nope. Unless you tell it to delete. Just tell it not to use them for
swap.

I did select "Create Partition Setup" and selected the USB drive.
Set up then showed me the three partitions on that drive which I
selected. It then deleted the swap and generated / in partition 1
and home in partition 2, deleting swap from partition 1.

I'll try this tomorrow - I feel certain it'll work just fine.

Thanks for the inputs. I gather not many people build bootable USB
drives.

I've not had the need sofar, but I doubt there's anything wrong with
the procedure.

how do you manually deselect it other swap?

In the text-format YaST: select the partition, enter, then Edit, then
untick mount. Something similar in the GUI.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (0.9°C)