Re: [opensuse] I am confused: "high end" graphics Laptop for Suse (in Spain)?
On 2016-01-12 20:18, Daniel Bauer wrote:
Am 12.01.2016 um 19:55 schrieb jdd:
Le 12/01/2016 19:29, Daniel Bauer a écrit :

and by the way, may be you over estimate your power needs.

this is very well possible!

I only know that my PC (intel i7 950@3.07 GHz, 16GB mem, Nvidia GTX 460)
often comes to its limits when I have large files with several layers
open in Gimp (can go to several hundreds of MB), and even more, when I
have to use Win in Virtualbox for the Canon-Raw-conerter...

These are specific tasks.

Let me see, long time I read about this. I don't know if Gimp is (well)
threaded or not. Then, it is possible that it is not using RAM fully,
but swapping to temporary files when it hits some defined limits in its
configuration. Edit/preferences, Environment, and maybe somewhere else.

Then, in my experience virtualized Windows is specially slow. In your
case, you have to make sure that the guest has enough RAM
available/reserved for its use, and enough CPU cores. I can't tell you
exactly what to adjust, because when I need power in Windows I double
boot to it instead.

I suppose that Canon tool doesn't work with wine?

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)