Re: [opensuse] I am confused: "high end" graphics Laptop for Suse (in Spain)?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 15:29:21 +0100
Daniel Bauer wrote:

Hi list(eners)

I need to buy a new laptop and am very confused with the new hardware
and it's compatibility with OpenSuse (I guess I will install leap?),
especially this secure boot thing etc.

I see that most of the laptops come with Win10 plus special stuff
(cloud space and don't know what else), but I plan to reformat the
disks and make a pure, fully encrypted Linux-machine, no dual boot,
but Win within a virtualbox (needed for some camera software).

What do I have to look for/make sure to have/not have, so that I can
do a more or less easy install without being an expert, and without
too much time to tinker and solve problems?

Anybody has experience with recent HP, Asus, Lenovo? And how about
Toshiba, which always seem to be cheaper?

I've have been using Toshiba laptops with Linux for 15 years or more,
never had any issues with them. I have a couple of Satellite L675, but
they're not exactly recent.
IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads have also never caused much trouble, but I have not
tried the newer Lenovo consumer range.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (7.9°C)