Re: [opensuse] software updates in LEAP system tray
  • From: "George Olson (SUSE list)" <grglsn765@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 13:48:50 +0800
On 01/11/2016 11:35 PM, Neil Rickert wrote:
On 01/10/2016 11:11 PM, George Olson (SUSE list) wrote:

1 - what is the name of the program/application/daemon that is running
the software updates reminder that keeps popping up in my system tray?
Apper is not installed on my new system, and I was not able to figure it
out

I'm not certain, but I think it is "plasma5-pk-updates".

2 - What does everyone thinkabout the new software updates management
tool? Should I get rid of it and go back to my old practice? (thatis
what I intend to do unless there are good reasons not to) Do people like
it? Are the updates better now that Leap is a more stable system?

You can disable the updates in system tray settings. That's what I have done.

I left it enabled on one system, for a while. And it seemed to work reasonably well (better than Apper). But it was too noisy for my liking, and I prefer doing update in other ways (Yast online update and zypper).

Ok, thanks. I also figured out that you can go to /etc/PackageKit
and edit the file ZYpp.conf:

[Updates]
## If set to true, only show updates that are available as maintenance patches
# HidePackages=false
HidePackages=true

By setting HidePackages to true, it is supposed to be less noisy. I am going to try it this way at first and see how it goes.

--
George
Box #1: 42.1 | KDE Plasma 5 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | 32GB