[opensuse] software updates in LEAP system tray
  • From: "George Olson (SUSE list)" <grglsn765@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 13:11:43 +0800
Having just recently gotten Leap up and running on my main desktop and main laptop, I noticed that the software updates reminder is giving reminders pretty regularly now.

In older versions of openSUSE, this was run by a program called apper, and I would just uninstall it so that I would run updates at my own convenience. My general practice has been to only run security patches regularly, as in daily, and bigger updates I would check maybe once a month or at longer intervals.

I also remember there being a lot of complaints about apper, that was why in older versions I would just uninstall apper and run a zypper patch or zypper update to update everything when I needed to.

I am interested in knowing 2 things about the new way of doing it in Leap.

1 - what is the name of the program/application/daemon that is running the software updates reminder that keeps popping up in my system tray? Apper is not installed on my new system, and I was not able to figure it out

2 - What does everyone thinkabout the new software updates management tool? Should I get rid of it and go back to my old practice? (thatis what I intend to do unless there are good reasons not to) Do people like it? Are the updates better now that Leap is a more stable system?

--
George
Box #1: 42.1 | KDE Plasma 5 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | 16GB