Re: [opensuse] Strange update problem - Leap 42.1
  • From: Gustav Degreef <gustav97@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 18:53:40 +0100
On 01/10/2016 02:55 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
Gustav Degreef wrote:

On 01/10/2016 05:01 AM, Gustav Degreef wrote:
An offlist suggestion was:
Try edit /etc/gai.conf. There should be a commented out line such
as:

#precedence ::ffff:0:0/96 10

Change to:

precedence ::ffff:0:0/96 100

You probably just need to remove a '#', there is an explanation in
the file. Restart network, and try a "zypper ref".

Another posibility is you being behind some type of proxy, like on a
university or corporation.

I am not behind a proxy, just direct ADSL from local ISP. The
suggested changes to /etc/gai.conf had NO effect. I also searched the
opensuse forums for any posts on Leap 42.1 and no one seems to have
the same issue.
Well, we have already identified your problem - your router is not
configured correctly.
So far 3-4 solutions have been presented:

a) change to use only dhcp4. Yast::Network config.
b) disable ipv6 completely (boot time option, I believe).
c) amend gai.conf to always prefer ipv4.
d) reconfigure your router.

All of them will work. Personally I think (a) is the easiest solution.
The router being the problem would explain a lot. I came to this semi
rural location in India and that is when the problem began. It did not
happen in Europe where the other router was configured by a
professional. This router was configured by a knowledgeable person, but
who is somewhat careless. I have direct access and perhaps could change
the router settings. I'll keep reading and see what makes most sense.
Gustav.