Re: [opensuse] Is there a way to create a portable openSUSE setup?
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 16:43:36 -0500
On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 4:22 PM, jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Le 05/01/2016 22:16, Pablo Dotro a écrit :

Greetings!

I know most of the Ubuntu derivatives can be made into portable,
persistent installs in USB drives. Is it possible to do the same with
openSUSE?
I need to be able to run some hardware compatibility tests and
performance measurements in a new set of workstations, and doing them
under oS, without disturbing the already installed Windows version is a
requirement (hardware compatibility with oS is one of the things I need
to test). I need to be able to customize, install, remove and save data
to the oS install, so it needs to be persistent between sessions. Does
anyone know if this is possible, and how to go about it?
Thanks in advance!

Pablo Dotro
DF-FCEyN-UBA

I think most if not all live openSUSE do that

jdd

Even more so, I think anything produced in SuseStudio and then
installed on a flash drive will do that.

https://susestudio.com/

The first time you boot, the boot image will see the extra space on
the flash drive and use it for permanent space as I recall.

It is not something I have ever needed, so I have done this.

If you don't feel like building your own appliance, check out the gallery:

https://susestudio.com/search?order=popularity

I find it hard to find stuff in the gallery so you may find it easier
to just build your own.

Greg