RE: RE: [opensuse] slow desktop action and hangs after upgrade to 42.1
On January 2, 2016 4:11:24 AM PST, stakanov@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Xen
Gesendet: Sa. 02.01.2016 12:33
An: suse ,
Betreff: RE: [opensuse] slow desktop action and hangs after upgrade
to 421

stakanov@xxxxxxxxxx schreef op 02-01-2016 1:49:

Your system is running baloo file indexing on the whole disk. The
delays will be in the same moment as heavy disk activity I suppose.
Once the indexing process has finished, the system will turn to be
normally responsive.
Log in your user and just let it run. Go to bed and when you wake up
it
should be O.K.
This has normally nothing to do with conflicts.
Try "top" from the command line to see that balloo indexer is
running
requiring a lot of CPU load.

Just saying... if an indexing service can cause up to 8 second delays
in
system responsiveness, something is really really wrong.

No, I would say this is a typical case of tradeoff. The niceness of
baloo was set to be not noticeable for
strong machines. Once done indexing you also do not "feel it" on less
strong machines. But as the
userbase of Linux is very widespread with young and nearly prehistoric
machines, what is O.K. for most
may not be O.K. for all.
So either you set the niceness of the process to a lower level manually
or you just wait after the first run
that the indexing has finished. I do not see any "problem" there.
If ever there is a problem it is as it always was: the QA process runs
on virtualized machines that do check for hardware
consistency but I do not think that these machines do also reproduce
the slowness of real hardware.
So if an indexing service can cause 8 seconds delays after the very
first install, maybe that is acceptable
provided(!) that the niceness is correct once the indexing has been run
once.
YMMV

Yes, in theory, but NO, not with the current version of Baloo.

These problems were all solved about a year ago and Baloo is quite acceptable
even on older machines like mine.

There is no way it would cause 8 second delays. Its nice level is already sent
to avoid that.

Baloo just doesn't index that much stuff anyway. Specifically it does NOT
index an entire drive in its default setup.

Delays of that duration can happen when you have disk errors, unreadable track
or sectors sitting right on top of frequently needed data. Especially if the
disk drive has exhausted all of its reserved tracks.

Somebody should look into SMART read outs on those drives.

Blaming current versions of Baloo is up the wrong tree barking.