Re: [opensuse] memtest only seeing 48GB out of 64GB?
On 12/31/2015 04:17 AM, James Knott wrote:
Incidentally, many years ago, I used to work with core memory, which was
made with tiny ferrite rings arranged in an array strung over extremely
fine wires. Now that was fussy about timing in that if you replaced one
inhibit line transistor or one of the driver/sense ICs connected
directly to the array, you had to replace all of them with devices from
the same batch. Those memory boards were either 8 or 16 KB on a 15"
square board. On my shelf behind me, I have a core plane from a Collins
B8500 computer. it contains 4096 cores and is about 5" square.

Wow! That jarred some memory bits loose! I used to care for early
minicomputers that used core too. The HP 2100A was one of them, and
I remember saving the day once by replacing one of those line transistors
with a soldering iron. But in this case I didn't have to replace all of them.
Those were the daze! I remember having to physically clean the disk drive
heads on a monthly basis too. I wish I had managed to save one of those
core planes...

Regards,
Lew