Re: [opensuse] 13.1 Virtualbox Stopped Working??? Looks like update killed it, but which? How to fix?
On 12/29/2015 10:33 PM, Mark Goldstein wrote:
Hi David,

On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 1:41 AM, David C. Rankin
<drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Implementation of the USB 2.0 controller not found!
>Because the USB 2.0 controller state is part of the saved VM state, the VM
>cannot be started. To fix this problem, either install the 'Oracle VM
>VirtualBox Extension Pack' or disable USB 2.0 support in the VM settings
>(VERR_NOT_FOUND).
That's quite normal, as I remember (I've not used OS rpms for VBox for
quite some time, rather direct download from vbox site). USB support
requires VBox extension pack. It is not rpm, you need to install it
either through VBox GUI or using command line (VBoxManager or
something like that). Each time you update vbox you have to re-install
extension pack, corresponding to VBox version.

Thanks Mark,

That's what has got me so darn confused. I have used USB-2.0 with this install, but before 13.1 I always used virtualbox.org rpms and then would install the guest_additions and then do the old, e.g:

$ sudo VBoxManage extpack install --replace \
Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.4-74291.vbox-extpack

Oh crap -- could it be I haven't used windows since my 11.4 install prior to 13.1? I wonder if that has been the issue all along. Damn, same laptop, same desktop, but that may have been it. If there is no way I could have used the USB-2.0 interface with the openSuSE rpms, then it has been since 11.4 since I fired up windows.

Sorry for the noise...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.