[opensuse] ideacentre Stick300
  • From: Chuck Payne <terrorpup@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 03:41:20 -0500
Hi,

I am trying to install linux on to a ideacentre stick 300. I been
reading they forum where people are getting Ubuntu install with the
following

-----

n fact, if You have the proper directory stucture for EFI boot on Your
USB device (EFI/BOOT/bootia32.efi) it will enable You to boot from the
USB after pessing ESC at boot time and selecting boot options. The
same You can achieve via the 'Boot from file" option, when You select
the USB device and find the EFI boot file manually.

I've just managed to install Ubuntu Linux (15.10) to the Ideacenter
Stick 300 device, so if You need I can provide some tips, how to do it
:-)

Amos

----

Should I use unebootin and choose the EFI-mode boot loader then ELILO?
I guess I will need to use openSUSE 13.2 correct since leap there is
no 32-bit version

I am asking because I have found these steps ( sorry they are for
ubuntu I am trying to change them for openSUSE ) . Do we have by
change tablet mix?

Broadly speaking, if you need to install Ubuntu (or any other Linux
distribution) on a computer with a 32-bit EFI and no
BIOS/CSM/legacy-mode boot support, the way to do it is:

Use unetbootin or something similar to prepare an installation USB
flash drive. (It's possible to get it to work with a CD-R, but this
takes more work.)
Choose an EFI-mode boot loader for Linux. I recommend ELILO, Fedora's
patched GRUB Legacy, rEFInd, or gummiboot because they're relatively
easy to set up manually. GRUB 2 is far too difficult to configure
manually, and SYSLINUX is too new.
Research your chosen boot loader's configuration file format and its
needs in terms of kernel location.
Check the original CD image to find its boot loader configuration. You
need to know what options are being passed to the kernel by the boot
loader.
Add an EFI/BOOT directory to a FAT partition on the USB flash drive
that now holds your Linux image. Ideally, this partition should be an
ESP (that is, have a "boot flag" set in parted or have a type code of
EF00 in gdisk if the disk uses GPT; or have a type code of 0xEF in
fdisk if the disk uses MBR), but some ESPs can cope without that. If
the disk doesn't have a FAT partition, you'll need to create one
Copy your chosen boot loader's binary file (with a name that ends in
.efi) to the EFI/BOOTdirectory on the USB flash drive, and rename it
to bootia32.efi -- that is, it should be EFI/BOOT/bootia32.efi. Be
sure to copy the 32-bit version of the boot loader!
Install any support files that the boot loader needs, such as drivers,
images, modules, and configuration files. In some cases (such as ELILO
and gummiboot), you'll need to copy your kernel and initrd file to the
FAT partition that holds the boot loader.
Edit the configuration file(s) for your boot loader so that it can
launch the kernel with the options you identified earlier by examining
the BIOS-mode boot loader's configuration.
Reboot to test the boot loader.

With any luck it will work and you'll be able to install everything. I
can't guarantee that Ubuntu will install a 32-bit EFI boot loader,
though. If not, you'll need to boot an emergency system and set that
up manually, too. You may also need to debug something, particularly
if unetbootin (or whatever you use) doesn't set up the flash drive in
the optimal way.

Of course, this description is fairly vague about the critical detail
of configuring the boot loader. This is because I haven't done it
recently (although I have in the past), and the details vary depending
on what boot loader you choose.

--
Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne