Re: [opensuse] Re: Moderation on mailing list
  • From: ianseeks <ianseeks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 19:43:07 +0000
On Friday 25 Dec 2015 00:54:05 Basil Chupin wrote:
On 23/12/15 19:35, Richard Brown wrote:
On 23 December 2015 at 07:30, Oliver Kurz <okurz@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wednesday 23 December 2015 16:56:23 Basil Chupin wrote:
On 23/12/15 13:42, Felix Miata wrote:
David C. Rankin composed on 2015-12-22 20:01 (UTC-0600):
Carlos banned... really... What kind of numbskull would ban Carlos?

Had this thread a proper topic, Carlos would probably provide a private
answer. He might anyway, at least if you ask him. It will surprise me
if
Richard Brown does not provide an answer once he awakens to find this
thread.

Oh I am sure that he certainly will respond, and we all await that with
bated breaths :-) .

… or maybe not as you just try to lure him into dangerous waters ;-)

Actually I will, but I'll try my best to keep it short and sweet :)

Yes, Carlos is currently banned from posting on any openSUSE
mailinglists or Forum.

The reason for this was an ongoing pattern of behaviour which can only
be described as 'disruptive', including disparagement/disrespect of
other contributors and their contributions, excessive
'content-light/noise making' posts on development lists and personal
attacks.

The trigger for the ban was a personal attack against me,

I am wondering if some other people apart from Carlos have been banned,
at your request or otherwise, when they have made a "personal attack
against [you]"? I only ask to be sure that I have the story clear in my
mind about what happened with Carlos' banning.

Particularly, I am wondering if the following have been banned by
posting what I would recognise as attacks on one's competence:

quote

As long as I'm concerned about _how_ you are doing your job, I'm going
to criticize it. And given the way you are communicating recently, I'm
concerned a lot. So I'm going to criticize you, learn to live with it.
Or, better, try to learn from the feedback you get.

unquote

http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-project/2015-12/msg00038.html

and then a few days ago this was posted':

quote

But you need to get that really bad attitude out of your responses; even
an imagined insinuation that Leap is not the greatest thing since sex
gets a snide and nasty response from you. I have no opinion on Leap at
all, either way, so cool it. Thank you.

unquote

but the ban

(an exceptional action) was only considered due to the exceptional
nature and volume of all of Carlos' behaviour leading up to and
including the personal attack against me. The ban was not a singular
response to that single incident.

I did not 'arrange' for the Ban. This course of action was decided
collectively by the openSUSE Board after significant deliberations,
and included the co-operation of both our Forum and Mailinglist
administrators.

Permanent and Indefinite bans were considered, but I tabled the
suggestion of a time-limited ban, and the Board decided on a 3 month
period, which is due to end on 14th February.

It is worth noting that Carlos was previously banned from the Forums a
few weeks earlier for similar behaviours, an action which was decided
by the Forum team without escalation to the Board.
When deciding upon this recent sanction banning him from both the
forums and the lists for a longer period of time, the Board took the
previous issues and actions by the Forum team into account.
While I realise it is an escalation, I hope that this action might
finally lead to positive change. Banning people from our communication
channels is a last resort, but discussions, warnings and previous bans
were all proven to have no effect.

I am encouraged by seeing Carlos continuing his support of users on
this list (something which he has always done well and is a credit to
his character),

And I am sure that I express the feelings of many others when I state
that we are all looking forward to the end of the Carlos' unnecessary
and undeserved disengagement from the openSUSE mail lists.

agreed

and am hopeful that when he returns in February we can

all experience his positive involvement in the Project without the
negative, disruptive aspects we've sadly had to deal with leading up
to his ban

And I am sure that I express the hope of many others on these lists that
we would not have to read in the new year or at any other time in the
future such comments as I quote above by Michal and 'listreader'.

And as today is -- it is now being close to 0100 hours -- Christmas day
I wish you, Richard, and everyone else on this list, Season's Greetings.

Richard Brown
openSUSE Chairman of the Board
On Behalf of the openSUSE Board

BC