RE: Re: [opensuse] Leap: strange problem with SWAP bloating
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 11:35:08 +0100
Per Jessen wrote:

If you think that I am somebody complaining pathologically about non
existing bugs you would, be as to say, "on the wrong train".

No, I don't think you are, but you really only described that you saw
swap space allocated apparently without need, which isn't a real
problem. 30Mb of swap is not a problem either. OTOH 1Gb of swap used
is quite a bit, but you should be quickly able to tell which
application is to blame simply by using "top".

However it may well be that my way of describing what happens
is "suboptimal" for lack of skills, mainly. When the problem last
time presented, the swap space mounted independently swap usage by
the rhythm of 100 MB every 5 seconds. When reaching 1800 MB of 2 GB
swap taken, the system got unresponsive. The RAM showed only 1.7 GB
out of 3 GB used in that case.

In Leap42/Plasma, such a situation might be caused by 'plasmashell',
see bug#957797, one of the reports I listed earlier. On my
Leap42+Plasma5 test desktop, plasmashell is regularly killed
by 'out-of-memory' when it has used up all RAM and all swap-space.

kscreenlocker_greet also gobbles up lots of memory, mine currently has
1.1Gb resident, about 3Gb virtual. For a screenlocker with no
screensaver, that seems like a lot :-)

AFACIT, the swapspace is not actively released, see my previous
posting.

Actually, swap-space that isn't actively paged in (by the application
touching it again), will no doubt remain as swap-space, regardless of
how much free memory there is.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (1.4°C)