[opensuse] Backup Suggestions?
Hi Folks,

I've been using rdiff-backup for many years, both at home and in
a client/server setup at work. But it's getting a bit long in the tooth
and I get occasional crashes seeming caused by a problem with
gzip.py. (IOError: Negative seek in write mode) It seems that
rdiff-backup hasn't been updated since 2009, maybe it's time for
me to switch? But to what?

I'm dong backups to disk, rather than to tape, and the disks are either
local or remote. The candidate system should back up to a regular
filesystem, and be accessible just like the source. The backup should
be an up-to-date copy of the source at the time the backup was run.
It should do incremental backups, and be able to restore to any given
time the backup was run. For instance, if the process is run on a daily
basis, you should be able to recover a file/directory that was removed
30 or more days ago. I've recovered files that had been removed two
years ago with rdiff-backup. It's not necessary for individual users to
recover their own stuff, it's enough for root to do it for them. I know
about rsync, but it doesn't do the history thing, as far as I know.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks,
Lew